Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Breadsticks with Italian herbs


We live in a very small village in the North of Thailand. And we are very happy here. But sometimes we long for the tastes of the European delicatessen. A long time ago, long before I baked my own bread, we discovered an authentic Italian pizzeria in one of the big cities. And we were up for a treat. To our surprise the restaurant served complementary breadsticks on the table. There were sticks with sea salt, sesame seeds, Italian herbs and cheese.  And we eat them all, leaving only little space for the pizza yet to come.

Luckily now I can make them myself! The Rex Milano, pre-mix of Schmidt, looks promising to make breadsticks. The rolls with Italian herbs which I already made with this pre-mix, tasted really nice.

I followed the recipe Schmidt gave me.  I made some bread sticks with coarse sea salt, sesame seeds and some Parmesan cheese which I added at the end of baking time to prevent it from melting too much. It worked out well and we enjoyed all the breadsticks.



Specifics
Name                                       Breadsticks with Italian herbs
Adapted from                           Schmidt
Yields                                      at least 16 breadsticks
Dough temp.                            24°C
Mixing                                      2 + 6 minutes (medium consistency)
Fermentation                            60 minutes
Shape                                      sticks
Proof at roomtemp.                  60 minutes
Bake 220°C                              20 minutes


This is what I used:

Bakers formula                      %          grams
Flour                                      100       200
Water                                     50        100
Salt                                         1.2       2.5      

Final Dough
Rex Milano                                           40
Unbleached AP                                    160
Olive oil                                               20
Yeast                                                   3
Salt (in Rex Milano)                               2.5
Butter                                                  6
Water                                                 100

This is what I did:
The dough: all ingredients are mixed until all was well combined, this took about 2 minutes. Then I mixed on second speed for 6 minutes. The dough should be supple, with moderate gluten development.

Bulk Fermentation:
 transfer the dough to a slightly oiled containers, cover and leave for 1  hour. 

Shaping: I rolled out the dough and divided it in stripes with a dough cutter. Then rolled each piece into a stick.

Proofing: I proofed the sticks for 60 minutes. This depends on the temperature in your kitchen. I sprinkled sea salt and sesame seeds on them.

Pre heating: I pre heated the oven to 220°C.

Preparing and Baking: I baked the rolls for 15 minutes and sprinkled graded cheese on top. Bake the sticks until golden.


Cooling: Let the sticks cool completely on a wire rack.

I send this to Susan’s YeastSpotting and to Bake Your Own Bread


3 comments:

  1. They look very delicious :).

    Greetings,
    Ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ana, they tasted great and will be back on our diner table soon.

    ReplyDelete