Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Sourdough Roasted Garlic Bread

Host for this month Bread Baking Day is Jenni of The Gingerd Wisk. She would like to have a Bread Fashion Show. We can do whatever we want as long as we decorate our bread. She gave us some examples and as soon as I saw Sourdough Roasted Garlic Bread made by Susan of Wild Yeast, I knew what to bake. I’m a fan of Susan and this recipe is high on my list of bread to bake. 
Often I started with the preparations for this bread and then we ate the roasted garlic without baking the bread. But not today; today I will bake the bread! The garlic’s are roasted, more garlic heads than I need just in case and the levain is ready.

Because I know Susan’s recipes are good I bake 2 loaves. Even though Susan said to hold back some of the water I just went for it and used all the water. I did all the required stretch and folds, which helped, but still the dough was slack. Considering this I’m very happy with the result and want to show them anyway. The loaves a not as well risen as I’m used to. But the smell and taste were very good. 


Specifics
Name                                       Sourdough Roasted Garlic Bread

Adapted from                           Della Fatoria from Maggie Glezer’s Artisan Baking
Yields                                      2 loaves
Dough temp.                            24°C
Autolyse                                  20 minutes
Mixing                                      2 slow and 3 medium speed
Fermentation                            240 minutes
Stretch/Fold                            30 – 60 -90 minutes
Shape                                      round
Proof at roomtemp.                   240 minutes
Score                                       circle
Bake 230°C                               35 minutes; 10 with steam and 25 without

This is what I used:
Bakers formula                      %          grams
Flour                                        100       582
Water                                      72         421
Salt                                          2          12       

Levain
mature starter                                      22
unbleached all purpose flour                  30
Whole wheat flour                               30
water                                                  31

Final Dough
Unbleached all purpose flour                 500      
Water                                                 390
Salt                                                     12                                                       
Levain                                                113


Filling:
3 T. roasted garlic paste
60 g grated hard Parmesan cheese

Topping:
2 whole unpeeled garlic cloves
8 whole parsley or cilantro sprigs

This is what I did:
The night before I prepared the levain by mixing all ingredients in a plastic bowl, covering with plastic and leave to ferment for the night (8 hours) until well expanded.

I roasted the
3 whole heads of garlic (cut off the tops). I placed each garlic head in a muffin tin and drizzled a teaspoon olive oil over them. And roasted them at 176°C until soft and brown. Squeeze them out of their skins and mash them with some pepper/salt and 2 Tablespoons of olive oil. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
I added the fermented levain, flour, salt, and about 85% of the water. I mixed it until all ingredients combined (2 minutes).  Then I mixed on medium speed to reach a medium level of gluten development.
I added the remaining water in portions and mixed until it is incorporated. The dough will be very soft and will not come together around the dough hook, but it should have strength and elasticity.

Bulk Fermentation: transfer the dough to a slightly oiled containers, cover and leave for 4  hours. 

Stretch/Fold: after 30, 60 and 90 minutes give the dough a stretch and fold.

Shaping: I divided the dough into 2 pieces and loosely shaped them into balls, covered with a towel and left for 20 minutes to rest.
To place the filling of garlic paste with grated cheese I gently pressed it into a thick disc. I spread half of the garlic paste in the center of the dough and topped it with half the grated cheese.
To form a pouch around the filling, I pulled the sides of the dough up. Turn the dough over and gently round the dough into a smooth ball, trying to keep the filling in the center. Pinch the seam on the bottom firmly closed.
I made a small x in the center of each loaf and twisted an unpeeled garlic clove into it. Wet 3 or 4 parsley or cilantro sprigs and arrange them around the garlic. Dust the loaves with flour and place them, decorated side down, into floured, linen-lined baskets.
Proofing: I proofed the loaf for 4 hours.

Pre heating: I pre heated the oven to 230°C.

Preparing and Baking: When the oven is hot enough I boil water and pour it in a glass bottle with a long neck. I pour some boiling water on the hot stones and quickly close the oven door to keep the steam in the oven.
I place the loaf on parchment on a peel and scored it with a circle around the cilantro sprigs.
Transfer to the oven and quickly slide the loaf on the baking stone. After some minutes I add some more water to get more steam.
I baked the loaf 10 minutes with steam and quickly removed the parchment paper and the steam pan. I baked the loaf for another 25 minutes. Then turned off the oven and left the loaves in for another 10 minutes, with the door ajar.
Bake the loaf until it is dark brown colored.

Cooling: Let the loaf cool completely on a wire rack.

I send this to Susan’s YeastSpotting and to Bake Your Own Bread


21 comments:

  1. That looks really good. I love the way the parmesan cheese has a hidden little pocket in the middle of the loaf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunningly beautiful loaves! I love the garlic and cheese baked right into the center of these loaves! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you looking for a mouthwatering pizza in pestron,VIC ? Don antonio pizza is real amazing. They have a great toppings selections and great prices on a single sliced.Authentic Italian pizza.No other pizza compares to this one.

    ReplyDelete