Friday, August 19, 2011

BIALY with Onion Garlic

Bread Baking Day #43 is coming up and I am wondering what the theme for this month will be. Judy of Judy’s Gross Eats choose Onion Bread. We’re lucky because we love onion. All year round we have onions in the house, together with garlic of course.

On my list of ‘to bake breads’ is a bialy. It looks nice and I’m always curious about discovering new breads. With the dough you can make Bialy and also Bagels. We have not much experience with Bagels. We like chewy but not too dense crumb.
When the Bialy came out of the oven they look real nice. I baked the onion and garlic with a little bit of apple vinegar, so it had a light brown color and baking it in the oven gave it even more color. But, it is not burned! The smell is nice and the taste is good.  Even though I used the prescribed amount of salt, it could use more salt for our taste. I followed a recipe for Kalamata olive Bialy made by Sally. I left the olives out of the dough and probably missed out on the extra flavor. The Bialy is chewy and dense. They are as they probably should be, like a Bagel. The original recipe is by Dan Lepard.
This is what I used for 10 Bialy:
1/2 tsp instant dry yeast
25 ml olive oil
1 tsp salt
550 g all purpose flour
250 g water

For the onion and garlic filling:
1 medium onion, sliced in rings
5 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 Tbs black sesame seeds
1 tsp Italian dried herbs (or as much as you like)
This is what I did:
In a bowl pour water and yeast and add olive oil, salt and the flour. Mix until all ingredients are combined well. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and leave in the refrigerator for 24 hours. You can leave it there for max. three days.

In a teaspoon of olive oil fry the onions and garlic until they have a light brown color. Add sesame seeds and Italian dried herbs. Set aside.

Pre heat the oven to 230˚C. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and divide into 10 pieces of 90 grams each. Shape each piece into balls. Cover them and leave for 1 hour to rise at room temperature.

Place the balls on parchment paper. Gently pat the balls and firmly indent the middle area, leaving a very thin and wide skin of dough in the center. Go all the way to the bottom of the Bialy and leave a thin layer of dough. Put 1 Tbs of onion/garlic/sesame seeds/Italian herbs-mixture into the depressions.
Place the Bialy on the baking stone and bake for 12 – 15 minutes until puffed and just beginning to get brown. In my oven I needed much more time, but check them after 15 minutes and when you like what you see and the Bialy are done, place them on wire rack to cool.

As I said before, we like them. But next time I will use the Kalamata olives in the dough.

I found a recipe of Bialy in the book of Ciril Hitz; Baking Artisan Bread. But I also found nice Black Olive Bialy, made by Sally of Bewitching Kitchen http://bewitchingkitchen.com/2010/04/18/black-olive-bialy/
I send this to Judy of Judy’s Gross Eating, host for Bread Baking Day #43 and to YeastSpotting and BYOB 


No comments:

Post a Comment